Donate to keep the blog Running

Fishy smell in vagina


I am a 27 year old female and recently developed a terrible
odor in my vagina. It smells fishy and I am not sure that caused it. I am
sexually active.
You may have an infection known as bacterial vaginosis. It is very common and is known to cause an abnormal odor in the vagina. It is not considered to be a sexually transmitted organism but is often common in sexually active people. Besides the fishy smell, patients often complain of painful sex, painful urination and irritation in the vaginal area. Recent antibiotic and douching are two common risk factors. Luckily the disorder can be treated with an antibiotic-metronidazole or flagyl. Some people claim that application of yogurt on the vagina may help. In the meantime, I suggest you avoid too many bubble baths, use hypoallergenic soap and avoid sex until the symptoms disappear.