Donate to keep the blog Running

IBS and barium enema


I am a 26-year-old female and recently my doctor recommended a barium enema. He thinks I may have IBS. Is this test valid?
I think he is trying to make sure that there is nothing else that is causing your symptoms. Barium enema is not a test specifically for IBS but to ensure that you do not have a mass, diverticulitis or crohn disease. The test is not painful but more likely to be uncomfortable. Most people do not like to have their anus exposed with a tube inside it. The test involves instillation of barium in your rectum and taking x-ray images. Usually does not take long. It is a good test and relatively cheap. I think you should go for the test to ensure you do not have anything else. The diagnosis of IBS is usually made clinically.